Translate

Thursday 10 January 2013

We went to London

It was the face-to-face day for my course - discourse analysis, where we looked at texts including newspapers and cold call telephone conversations. I think this part of the course will be one of the most interesting for me.  I wore one of my new sweaters - big, baggy and elegant, with the necklace I haggled for in Shanghai.

We took the opportunity to see War Horse. It was a bit jingoistic at first, but that was how the propaganda was. But then it presented the action from the German perspective. They were just like the English and wanted to go home as soon as possible. Also, I expected to be annoyed about the emphasis on the horses but they repeatedly said 'actually, this doesn't matter, because so many people are dying'. The horses were spectacular, but scary from where we were on the front row. I thought they were going to gallop off the stage and crush us!!

We also walked a lot and visited the V&A and the Transport Museum at Covent Garden, which is a good social history of London. I bought a new silver necklace which will look good on smart evenings on cruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment