Translate

Monday 22 July 2013

Almost finished

I usually spend a few tinkering, but this analysis of the flash fiction 'Currents'  is pretty much finished. Thanks to the learning advisor, I think my argument is much crisper, whilst leading the reader through it gently. I was making the mistake before of just cramming in as many facts as possible, without realising that it was the structure of my writing which needed work. Well, at least I hope that's the case, but I don't understand how I got through a BA and most of the taught part of an MA without some tutor explaining this to me.

I concluded that its the way the writer blends the omniscient narration with the thoughts and speech of the characters which makes it a strong text. That the reverse order narration ends with relating the story to the reader by making them realise that any day could end badly. That the text is very racist in neglecting to explore the thoughts and emotions of the Filipino characters.

On Saturday we went to a National Theatre screening of Macbeth from the Manchester International Festival with Kenneth Branagh. Superb - I've never seen that many curtain calls before. Macduff was great too.

1 comment:

  1. I really sympathise with your frustration of not having had the feedback that you need during your earlier studies - that happened to me in my second year of my degree.

    I wonder if this is caused, in part, by the pressure that your tutors and markers were under to deliver their marks in line with the University's deadlines? I know from experience how exhausting marking is, and how difficult it is to meet the deadlines that we're set. Add to that the fact that a lot of undergrad teaching is done by Postgrads who have limited teaching experience or guidance, and perhaps it becomes more understandable.

    I'm not trying to defend your tutors - I think this situation is pretty awful - but I wonder if this explains this.

    Keep on keeping on. Keep on blogging - personally I find the discipline of producing a short piece is more challenging than writing a 10,000 word chapter, and I think that it helps improve my writing in other ways.

    And, the best of luck. Postgrad study is such a joy, I'm actually dreading coming to the end of it!

    ReplyDelete