Translate

Saturday 3 August 2013

Its as if I'm on a summer holiday

I know lots of other people are on summer holiday, but this year, we will be taking a long holiday in the Autumn. So I need to get the dissertation going. But its been very hot and I feel very listless - I'll give it another couple of days and then try again with the proposal. I need to get ahead so that I have enough material on my laptop to be able to do bits and pieces whilst we are away.

We went to the Tatton flower show and really enjoyed the floral marquee. But we were disappointed with the gardens - fewer entries than we have ever seen before. That must be an effect of the recession - especially for the local authorities who have no money for flower beds any more. But we particularly liked the garden based on the Sheffield steel industry.

I had a phone call this week from a call centre trying to get me to sign up to an OU course. In 8 years of association with the OU, this is the first time this has happened. I suspect they've put the fees up so high that they are short of students. This is a terrible national shame, that such a great institution is struggling for funding. I have had my quarrel with the OU - a major one, and I won't be signing up again - but it has given fantastic opportunity to so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment